History

The school was started in 1936 by Joyce Butler with the first classes being held in the living room of her house!

Joyce ButlerThe school grew over the years to become four centres in West London: Ealing, Hayes, Hillingdon and Southall. Miss Butler continued to run the school even through the war and never once missed putting on her show – often resorting to making costumes out of parachute material.

Miss Butler was a respected examiner for the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) which took her around the world and because of her valuable work as an examiner was made a Fellow of the RAD. Whilst teaching she was also a member of the Imperial Society for the Teachers of Dancing (ISTD); National Association of Teachers of Dancing (NATD); British Ballet Organisation (BBO) and International Dance Teachers Association (IDTA).

After her death in 2005, the School was gifted to two ex-pupils, Vanessa Hoskins and Brenda Garratt-Glassman who had been teaching at the school for many years. In 2013 Miss Brenda decided to hang up her teaching shoes to pursue a new adventure in the dance world. The school now runs from one centre in Ealing.